Monday, November 3, 2008

Pre-race injuries - now a recurring theme

AAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that. Just letting out a little frustration over the fact that I haven't run in 5 days now and I am in serious trail withdrawal.

I woke up last Wednesday with a pain in the medial arch of my left foot. First thoughts from any runner would be a possible case of plantar fasciitis, but I'm not so sure that this is what's ailing me. The location of the pain is on the outside of the foot and slightly higher up, with the pain continuing towards the top of the foot. If I had to make a somewhat educated guess (I get called Dr. at work sometimes, so that's gotta count for some credentials, right?), I'd guess that I have tendinosis/tendinitis of the anterior tibial tendon (labeled tibialis anterior in the illustration below).


I'm less than 3 weeks out from my first 50-miler. I'd be decreasing my weekly mileage anyways, but nowhere near this much. Instead I hopped on the road bike and put a good number of hours in the saddle over the last 3 days to at least get some cardio in. It's not the same though. I don't feel like I can clear my head by going out on a long bike ride... and I'm not going to lie it hurts to sit on that thing for any extended period of time.

This is all too familiar for me. About 3 weeks out from my first marathon I got a bout of achilles tendinitis in the right ankle that sidelined me for a week or two before getting back into it. Unfortunately with that issue I reinjured the achilles during my marathon and then had to do a few weeks of physical therapy and start from square 1 with increasing my mileage. Lord knows I don't want to relive that experience! Luckily I think this current injury is much less severe, so hopefully all will be well by JFK and I'll be back into the swing of things soon.

Come on foot! Don't fail me now. Heal, baby, heal!

No comments: